LOST OR ABANDONED CEMETERIES
Section 12. Go west of the
There is an old reading in Green notebook
files at the Putnam County Library. There was a Spurgin that owned property in
Sections 31 and 32 in the 1879 Atlas. Note that we found the
There is an old reading in the green notebook files at the Putnam County Library. It said there was one stone that was in several pieces in Sec 12 of Clinton Township. The directions say 80 rods, but they didn’t say from where or in which direction. This old reading was not dated and there is no indication of who made the reading. Based on the age of the paper, the reading was probably done in the 1950’s or 1960’s. The property owner indicated that several people have tried to find this cemetery based on this old reading, with no success. We could not find it either.
There are several old references to a few graves in Section 15 of Township 4N, Range 3W on the Fislar Farm. The property owners stated that several people have looked for the cemetery without luck and they haven't seen it in the 50 plus years they have owned the place. They were told it consisted of one or two old stones.
This cemetery was moved to Cunot when the Cagles Mill Dam was constructed. The area is now under water. The cemetery was marked in the 1879 Atlas, and based on the location marked and on landmarks marked on that map and on current readings, we have determined the former cemetery to be in the vicinity of 39 o 28’ 45”N Latitude 86o 53’ 50”W Longitude.
Historical records indicate a village was
laid out in the early or mid 1800’s about one mile north of Fillmore in Section
32 of Floyd Township called Eberle. This town missed the railroad by about a
mile and was not developed to any extent. But there are some burial records for
individuals citing the
Several individuals have stated there was once a church and cemetery in Section 10 or 15 of Floyd Township just west of the intersection of County Roads 600N and 600E, about one mile southeast of Groveland. Several of these individuals stated they could only remember the foundation of the old church, but the tombstones were in fact standing in their youth. According to their statements, the farmer bulldozed the tombstones into the northeast corner of this field. We have examined the area, and it does in fact look like some dirt has been bulldozed into this area, but we could find no tombstones. The general location of this area is 39 o 44’ 46”N Latitude 86o 44’ 27”W Longitude.
From the intersection of
Historical records indicate the
possible existence of a graveyard on the old Batman farm in Section 33. This
farmstead and possible cemetery should be northeast of the corner of
Several individuals have stated there might
be an old abandoned cemetery about one mile south of
There was a Drew family cemetery in Section 15. The graves of Matthais, Elizabeth and Joseph Drew were moved to Forest Hill and this cemetery no longer exists.
Greencastle Street Department
Several individuals have taken about a half dozen tombstones from various locations in the county that they felt were in danger of being destroyed to the Greencastle Street Department garage for safekeeping. We are not able to ascertain the original location for these tombstones.
Several individuals have indicated the existence of an old abandoned cemetery in Section 5 about one mile northeast of Roachdale. According to the property owner, the farm has been in family for many generations and his grandfather showed him the location where there were two wooden crosses which are now long gone which marked the graves of two young girls named Crowe.
During our research, we noted the existence of a cemetery in Section 35 which is clearly marked as "graveyard" in Plat Book 112 page 563 and 559. This graveyard is along a fencerow about one half mile east of the intersection of Co Rd 800 N and 650E, about 100 yards north of the road. The approximate location is 39 o 46’ 39”N Latitude 86o 43’ 24”W Longitude. With the property owner’s permission, we have searched this area, but have not yet been able to locate any grave markers.
Several old timers have indicated
there was a cemetery at one time about 100 yards west (or maybe east) of the
Several records indicate the one-time existence of a cemetery in Section 1 called Tucker. We have not found any old readings or been able to find any other information. The 1879 Atlas indicates several different Tucker’s lived in this area, so it is possible there was a cemetery somewhere in this area at one time that contained some Tucker’s burials.
There is said to be an old cemetery in Section 30 down a
lane northwest of the intersection of
Unknown Sec 30
An individual stated there was a cemetery in the middle of
the 38 acre tract in the southwest corner of section 30. This property is owned
by two sisters form
This cemetery has been marked
in Section 14 in the 1879 Atlas and on the current county road maps. Several
individuals have stated they have seen tombstones at the location marked.
Someone has marked this cemetery at 39o 49’ 57”N Latitude 86o 55’ 23”W Longitude, which is consistent
with the location that several individuals have stated they have seen marked tombstones
lying on the ground. The site overlooks Raccoon Creek and is a plausible burial
site. We have searched this area and have not been able to find anything. The site is about one half mile east of the
The tombstone of William Brown, a Revolutionary War Soldier,
was formerly located in Section 6 but was moved to the